Our final day on Santa Cruz – Tortuga Bay

Tuesday 16th January

Up for breakfast of juice, eggs, croissants and tea for Karen at the Abra cadabra cafe. Back to hotel and prepared for a walk out to Tortuga Bay. (As it turned out probably didn’t pack enough water.) Walked along Charles Binford, past a school and an adventurous iguana

up to the National Park office where we signed in for our walk. The ranger told us it would take about 45 minutes. On our walk we had some shade but early indicators were that it was going to be pretty warm and unshaded. 

On our arrival at Tortuga Bay we headed left along the beach.

Iguanas, although not many in number, were immediately seen.

Next we headed back to the right. We saw a number of iguanas walking along the sand away from the black rocks. A number of smaller birds

plus pelicans were evident.

At the end of the beach we saw some snorkellers in a small lagoon but no sea lions or sea turtles evident. Karen rested in the shade while I walked to the next much smaller beach with virtually no water movement.

By the time I returned Karen had made friend with a large iguana resting next to her!

After a bit of a walk around the rocks

we began our return walk along the beach ‘sans’ shoes. As we walked along the water’s edge we spotted a pelican fishing successfully,

as well as iguanas walking along the sand. At the end of the beach we spotted more iguanas on the rocks again.

Our return walk was quite hot and by the time we reached a mid point shelter we had nearly run out of water and were glad of the shade.

At the edge of the park we signed out and continued back to the hotel for a drink. After a quick shower we went out to Galápagos Deli for lunch. Very nice and fast wifi too. I ate a cheese roll, Karen had a vege roll and we shared some very good chips. The rest of the afternoon was spent resting. Late in the day we went upstairs to the top level of Hotel Espana for outstanding views before going shopping as I wanted to buy a souvenir t-shirt. Bought two at two different places. Probably paid a bit too much for the first one. On our way back passed a small boutique brewery. The owner was standing out the front handing out flyers. After dropping off our shopping we went back for a drink. The very proud owner also gave us a tour of his two brewing rooms. I received a free paddle of his four current beers.

Then I ordered an IPA half pint for $5.

Chatted with two poms on the next table. It was their second visit to Puerto Ayora. They had loved their first visit a lot! Continued on to the kiosks

for a latish dinner at Servi Sabrosón. Karen ate a four section veggie plate and I had a mixed taco plate. Pretty average compared to our other two nights there. Back at Hotel Espana we checked our emails before going up to pack for our return to mainland land Ecuador.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s